Tips for Travel Abroad
- Be sure you have a signed, valid passport that is valid at least 6-months from your departure date. Also, fill in the information page of your passport!
- Make copies of your passport identification page. If possible, scan your information and keep it stored in your email box. This will speed up the replacement process should you misplace your passport on vacation.
- Leave a copy of your passport and your itinerary with family or friends at home so that you can be contacted in case of an emergency.
- Review your travel documents before you leave.
- Confirm your flights and any transfers you may have purchased in advance.
- Arrive at the airport at least three hours in advance for international flights (check directly with your airline for specific instructions).
- Check the weather in your destination before you travel and pack accordingly.
- Find out what type of electrical outlets your destinations use. You may need an adapter to use your electrical devices.
- Research the country you are traveling to. Be sure to acquaint yourself with local laws and customs.
- Carry a small amount of foreign currency for expenses you may encounter upon arrival.
- If you plan on renting a car abroad, make sure you understand the CDW (collision damage waiver).
- To get the best exchange rates, plan ahead. Typically banks offer better rates and lower transaction fees than hotels and exchange bureaus.
- ATMs are available nearly everywhere. To keep transaction costs down, withdraw more money at once rather than small amounts over time.
- If you have a chance, learn a few common phrases in the local language. This may not only help you find the information you need, but also lead to making a few friends on your trip.
Additional Travel Tips
Sign up for Savings
Receive exclusive discounts and travel tips right to your inbox. Plus, you'll get a discount just for signing up!