There are just certain films that when you watch them they make you want to call and book the next flight to that destination. Films that have inspired me to want to travel include:
- Room with a View –. The beauty of Florence and Rome set the mood for this tale of an Englishwoman who leaves strict British society and finds a freer life and romance in Italy.
- Memoirs of a Geisha – The beautiful cinematography in this film awakened an interest in me to travel to Japan, a place I hadn’t really thought to visit until I watched this film and saw a different side to what I thought was mainly a modern high tech place.
- Into the West – This movie gives an interesting peek into the culture of Irish gypsies, known as travelers. The action scenes of two young boys and their horse being chased, accompanied by Irish instruments and singers, show off the Irish mountains and cliffs in the western part of the country.
- Gigi – All the elegance and glamour of Paris can be summed up in this film where Maurice Chevalier portrays the quintessential elegant Frenchman who narrates the film about a young French girl who rebels against the path set for her. Elegant Paris serves as the backdrop of this romantic story.
- Hideous Kinky – A British mother, Kate Winslet, takes her two daughters to Morocco in the 1960’s. Exotic Marrakesh attracts the young mother to leave the conventions of British life for the sights, sounds and smells of a country so different than the conventions of her own.
- Before Sunrise – Julie Delpy (Céline) and Ethan Hawke (Jesse) discuss relationships, religion and life in front of backdrops which include the Danube canal, a Viennese coffeehouse, and the giant Ferris wheel in the Prater amusement park. As Céline and Jesse fall in love, we fall in love with the enchanting imperial city of Vienna, Austria. In the sequel to the film, “After Sunset” viewers experience the complications of life and love amidst the backdrop of Paris.
What films have inspired you to take a trip?